Saturday, September 6, 2008

A new path

The past few weeks of my life have been so exciting and so full of new beginnings.


I just finished grading 64 undergraduate essays! I have to say that there are parts of graduate school that are true to the jokes- I saw a cartoon last week that graduate school is for you if you like speaking in jargon, for example. I am taking a few classes in political theory this semester, and if nothing else, I have certainly determined that I am not a political theorist!

I'm having the most fun teaching my classes,though. Even if I've had a rough day in my theory class, it's so rewarding to head to my class and lead the discussion about international relations for the day. It's such a great reminder of why I'm in graduate school in the first place- to teach!

Since I've had so much reading to do for my own classes, I've had to come up with incentives to get me through the more thick work. I'm reminded of Meaghan, my roommate in England, who once jokingly said "Sometimes I promise God that if he lets me win Solitaire, I'll go do my homework." Some of my readings are so difficult, boring (let's be honest!), or long, that I need breaks every once in a while. Games, doing my own fiction reading, crossword puzzles, doing the dishes-they have all become great breaks from my studies. Another one has been my newest project-my personal website. It's still a work in progress, especially the section on my platform, but I wanted to share it with people. Of course I'll still update my blog, but I wanted to create a general "base" for some of my pictures so people didn't have to sift through old posts.


In any case, I hope you enjoy!

Laura's Website

No comments: