Tuesday, September 30, 2008

UK news in Roanoke

I love my google alerts... and for some odd reason, this British newspaper story fell into one of them. Am I ever glad it did, though! the Guardian, a popular newspaper in the UK, was looking for a place to get "the pulse of the people" in a town in the United States. After setting up a variety of characteristics and narrowing it down, they sent their man to Roanoke, Virginia! Just down the road from me, I find this a fascinating choice. Read the article link below. I think it's wonderful to read about how the international press is trying to get a feel for what's going on in a town like Roanoke; although I'd argue that Roanoke is not typical of all of Virginia. Virginia is home to many distinct regions and political feelings; I think nonetheless that it will be interesting to see what comes of this reporter's work.


No comments: