Saturday, November 22, 2008

A new appearance

Last night was spent with a local Brownie/Junior Girl Scout troop at a really neat store in Blacksburg called Beadsburg. I spent the evening helping the Girl Scouts put together necklaces and bracelets to give to others as gifts.

Many know that Girl Scouts is a crucial part of my platform; I was a Girl Scout my entire life, earning my Gold Award and receiving a wonderful $6,000 scholarship from the National Elks Foundation for my work. I have since served as a Girl Scout leader while in Lynchburg, and now I'm meeting with as many Girl Scout troops as possible across Lynchburg, Blacksburg, and southwest Virginia. I think it's so important for young women to learn lessons about self-esteem, goal setting, and recognizing "red flag" friendships and I have developed presentations for even the youngest Girl Scouts to talk about these issues. I'm also excited that I was asked by a Lynchburg troop to help with the planning and production of their Girl Scout Silver Award! Lots of exciting things are coming!

It was so much fun to meet all these girls and work with them, and I'm excited that the troop leaders want me to volunteer with them as much as possible! I had the opportunity to meet two very outgoing young women in the troop who were a lot of fun.


No comments: