Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Miss Hill City

This past weekend was a very busy one for me, and I really enjoyed it. I had the opportunity to compete for the title of Miss Hill City, and got to see some girls I have come to know and love here in Virginia, Madison and Whitney, and I also met some great new girls who were so kind and have SO much potential! The Hill City committee was great, especially when my cd started acting like there was no song for my talent on it.

It was a stressful weekend, too, though, because it was Never Ending Weekend here at my school, and as president of the activities council I was kept very busy trying to make sure that Tacky Party on Friday and Fall Formal on Saturday were pulled off. Both of these events are very old traditions at our school, in which Friday night is a dance party where everyone dresses "tacky" (I think the name gives it away but every year some students are confused!) and on Friday everyone dresses up for fall formal.

I worked extremely hard on both of these events, as did the entire Activities Council, and they were a BIG success! We had a huge turnout, and great musicians/djs for both nights. The week leading up to all of this was very stressful, but it was all pulled off.

It was really great that Hill City was here in Lynchburg, because about 12 of my friends were able to come watch me compete, and that was really great. They were all extremely supportive and it was wonderful to have them there.
I have to say that each of the girls I have met so far in Virginia are extremely kind, and their mothers are helpful. When I competed in Shenandoah Valley, I drove there myself, stayed by myself, and managed all my own preparation. I was fine with this, but I was amazed at the mothers who offered up anything I needed.

Madison Van Duyne and her mother invited me into their room the first night and fed me a late dinner after our rehearsal, and they are the most genuine people you will ever meet. I really love Maddie's personality and her mother is so incredibly kind, and she is definitely someone that you want to spend more time with the moment you meet her! After Miss Shenandoah Valley, Madison's parents took us out to dinner, and I am so grateful for their kindness. Whitney Law's mother also offered to help me multiple times, checking in on me to make sure I was okay. This was so generous of them and I am so happy for Whitney, who won Miss Hill City after relentlessly competing for the chance to go to Miss Virginia. She and her mother are such nice people!


The pageant was a lot of fun and I am glad I did it. I am, however, looking forward to taking a break from pageants for several weeks to focus on my studies and post-graduate plans; I am taking the GRE November 16th and have a few graduate applications left to finish. I'm also preparing both my senior papers and my regression project for econometrics, so I know that my focus needs to be on my work right now.

That said, my dream of competing for Miss Virginia and Miss America is still alive and well, and I plan to return to competing as soon as I can remove my focus from school a little bit and dive back in to my community service and my passion for this program.


I want to thank all of the people who have sent me encouraging emails, letters, and flowers, because it really means a lot to me. I am so incredibly blessed to have such good friends and to meet such kind and helpful people.

2 comments:

Miss Muddy Paws said...

Hope to see you at Miss Arlington!!!

Miss Muddy Paws said...

Good luck getting all of the school work done. The end is near. You'll be graduating before you know it!!! :)