Sunday, May 18, 2008

A busy life...

I really haven't had time to post much on here lately. I've been moving and adjusting to my new job. Since being given the opportunity to compete for Miss Virginia, I am trying to make the most of it. Therefore, I seem to have appointments all over the place crammed into my extremely busy schedule! I am really looking forward to June, however. I think it's going to be a great week and I know that all this hard work will pay off when I feel proud of myself at the end of the week for accomplishing "the impossible."

The amount of things on my plate to complete for Miss Virginia and my own preparation is an awful lot, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I am so grateful for it, and putting in whatever of myself that I have. I know that hard work pays off, and that is the philosophy that I live my life by. Approaching Miss Virginia is no different. I am so excited, albeit busy, and currently not much is going on besides work and preparing for Miss VA! So even though I don't have much time to blog, it works out well because there's nothing terribly exciting going on.

Being on campus was very strange at first. Our campus overflows with ghost stories and staying alone in my large dorm for a week was very scary. I have finally moved the majority of my belongings into an apartment elsewhere on campus (with other human beings in the building!) and I feel much safer and more comfortable, due to the air conditioning.

Tomorrow a very cool group is coming to campus and I need to be ready to help with whatever they need. The group focuses on social justice and voter issues in Virginia, and obviously this political connection is very exciting for me! The director and I hit it off immediately and he encouraged me to sit in on some of their sessions if I have time. It's exciting to see that political activists are making themselves known in this important election year! Part of their group will be canvassing, and although I don't think they are raising money like I did in a prior job, canvassing is a very challenging and draining experience. It's a necessary evil, though, and I'm excited to meet all these other college students who are probably political junkies like myself!

That's all for now!

No comments: