Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A few thoughts...

It feels like it has been so long since I wrote on here. The good news is that I took a break from blogging to enjoy all of the good things that were happening! In fact, it has been so overwhelming lately that I have to remind myself at least once a day that I can only accomplish one thing at a time. I have a lot on my plate, but I have the determination to make it through.


I am still so thrilled to even be competing for Miss Virginia. What a long but rewarding road it has been so far and I am enjoying every moment, even the times when it seems stressful and a little overwhelming. I know that I have the support of many special people and that makes this even more of a blessing!

I am graduating college on Sunday, and really excited about the next chapter of my life, although the experience is bittersweet. I am tremendously sad to see my friends all heading in different directions (although one is in Charlottesville and another in Maryland) because I have been part of an extremely close group of friends since my first year in college here. I have much more to say about those girls in another post. Graduation marks the beginning of “real life” although my plans still continue to be moving on as a “professional student”. I’m headed to VT for my masters (I just registered for classes yesterday) and headed to Miss Virginia. What wonderful things to be happening at the same time!

Speaking of Miss Virginia related work, I applaud all the other girls competing because I had no idea of the amount of paperwork that was involved. I somehow managed to complete it and I’m glad that part is finished. I think Miss Virginia week is going to be very exciting and a wonderful experience for me. I feel like I have so much to look forward to right now in my life, and I feel extremely blessed because of that.

I’m very excited to announce that I was recognized at our Academic and Leadership Awards. In February of 2007, I contacted the Guerrilla Girls (while I was in England) about coming to speak at my school. After over a year of hard work, involving massive campus publicity and fundraising, we held the program on March 26th. My efforts earned the award for the Best Focused-Audience Campus Social Event, and I am so proud that the GG’s were so popular.

I also attended a scholarship luncheon last week with a woman representing the VFIC. I am so grateful to the Virginia Federation for Independent Colleges, because they, along with Philip Morris, have funded the $10,000 scholarship I received as a sophomore. This wonderful scholarship is available to a limited number of Virginia college students who excel in the fields of business, science, and economics. This scholarship has allowed me to complete my undergraduate education and it was wonderful to speak with a woman who works for VFIC to express my gratitude. I also got to speak with my friend Stacey, who is attending GWU in the fall for her master’s and plans to make it her career implementing “Take Back the Night” across college campuses, which is really exciting.


I’m also thrilled to report that I’m continuing to live in Lynchburg over the summer. I was offered a wonderful on campus position and I’m really excited about that job.

So, all these things have kept me VERY busy and taken my time away from blogging. I’m also working on getting my official website up and going! I’m not sure I could ever write about how I feel about graduating properly; a thousand thoughts are filling my head but I don’t know if I can express them in the way I’d like to.

No comments: