Sunday, June 15, 2008

Being sick...

It's so heartbreaking to be sick a week before Miss Virginia. I think it was really smart on my and my director's part to have worked so hard before this! Now we are just packing and putting together final details. I think we have almost everything we need except for the last minute running out (pantyhose, my own makeup, etc).

Yesterday we started putting everything together and I have to say again that I am truly excited about my wardrobe and my chance to compete for Miss Virginia. Yesterday I was really sick beginning in the morning and thanks to some special "pageant friends" was able to go see a doctor, even on a Saturday. This past year, and especially since Miss Commonwealth, I have truly felt supported by so many people not just on my pageant journey, but whenever I needed it. There are so many people who have chipped in to help me, encourage me, or make this somewhat stressful time a little bit easier.

I was relieved to hear that I do not have strep throat, although I do have laryngitis. I have never had this before, but I have to admit my throat has never hurt so much. As I type, I have lost my voice beyond whispering. I am taking doctor's orders extremely seriously. He told me I should feel better within a week and I joked with him that I'd give him six days to make it better so that I was great for Miss Virginia! He said it was a good thing I was a dancer and not a singer, but I assured him that whispering through my interview was not going to result in a high score! So fingers crossed and prayers sent that this sickness gets better in a few days. I'm getting a lot of sleep and limiting how often I need to talk.

Ever since I was little, I always examined every difficult situation and tried to pump myself up by 1) coming up with one or two positives about the situation and 2) thinking of one way it could be worse. So, all the peace and quiet and lack of phone calls allows me to truly focus my mind on Miss Virginia. And at least I don't have strep or meningitis!

I know that if I have the determination to pull off this in just two months, once I arrive at Miss Virginia it's just the icing on the cake. I think it will be so much fun and the payoff for almost a year of hard work. My director seems more nervous than I do! He keeps checking in to see how my packing is going (fine). We are finally down to only buying last minute things! I'm so thrilled about my swimsuits, too. They fit well and I really like the colors.

Keeping the positive thoughts rolling all the way through Miss Virginia!

No comments: