Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's off to Miss Virginia

Well, we are now just two short days away from arrival in Roanoke. There are so many thoughts going through my head that it would be difficult to process them all and share them, but I’ll do my best.

First of all, I want to share something exciting. A while ago, I used the press contact at my school to locate the local paper. She put the word out that there are two “Lynchburgers” competing for Miss Virginia. Miss Lynchburg, Sarah Fitzpatrick, and myself were interviewed this morning by the Lynchburg News and Advance. She said she was going to write her story on Sunday, so it will probably be in the paper during Miss Virginia week. It was great to talk to her and share what we are doing!

On that note, I have had a “Miss Virginia” day. I feel like this whenever I’m running between my two jobs and negotiating a whole slew of appointments. Thankfully, everything went well and it was a really successful day! I cannot believe that tomorrow is my last day before Miss Virginia 2008! I’m really looking forward to having a great week, spending time with the girls I have grown close to, and celebrating the new Miss Virginia! A lot of hard work has gone into this and at this point, I just have to do my best after all my preparation and know that I’ll be truly blessed if my hard work and God’s plan happen to collide.

This last week has been one of the craziest that I have ever faced. I came down with laryngitis and a sinus infection and saw three doctors in one week trying to feel better as soon as possible. I lost my voice last Monday and have spent the week resting and praying that all will be good come tomorrow. I’ve dealt with a very difficult situation in my on-campus job. Today, I watched nearly in tears as my Randolph-Macon ring was cut off my middle finger. I put the ring on days ago, and my finger started swelling. Yesterday and this morning I tried everything- hand in ice water, Vaseline, greasy soap, and holding my hand above my head trying to reduce the swelling so I could get the ring off. After finally talking to a pharmacist who recommended I do something before I lost circulation to my finger, I went to the mall and asked a jeweler what to do. All three women in the store agreed- we had to cut it off. My finger had swelled even more and was red near the ring. So I watched as one of my most precious possessions was cut off my own finger. They assured me it could be fixed, but it was heartbreaking watching that ring be sliced. I came back to the area later in the day to locate one final item for Miss Virginia, and got carsick. Earlier in the week, Jimmy and I drove all the way to Harrisonburg for one final fitting, which resulted in me getting sick in the car on the way back. In addition to the laryngitis, for five days I couldn’t keep any food down. I only feel like my stomach is just back to normal.

Whether I do or don’t come home a member of that Top 11, I know I have worked extremely hard to get to this point and that next week is all about sharing that work with everyone else! What we have managed to accomplish in such a short time period is truly amazing. Having the patience to get through all of the fundraising, searching for clothing, hitting snags, and changing my talent routine only convinced me that I have the determination and faith in myself to make things work no matter what the instance. I’ve driven through two tornado warnings on pageant business, had my Randolph Macon ring cut off my finger, been locked in the national D-Day memorial while on pageant business, driven 13 hours in one day numerous times, and tried on 71 evening gowns. We’ve spoken to everyone but Barry Manilow himself trying to get my talent cleared, and then finally shifted gears for a new song and routine just a month before Miss Virginia.

And I truly could not have done this without the help of my directors- and the numerous other caring individuals who stepped forward to help me. Although some wish not to be named, I am so grateful for everything you have done for me. My employers have been so patient with me and supportive of what I’m doing, and I appreciate that. I know next week is going to be fun, busy, and rewarding. I have worked so hard to get there, and I can’t wait to tell you how it goes!

So, ideally I’ll be able to check in next week, but I don’t want to make any promises!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck from Ohio!